Frequently Asked Questions

How do I schedule an Orientation?

Call the Association Office to schedule a date and time convenient for you. The orientation takes about 20 minutes and you will be equipped with all of documentation, Assess Badges and car stickers. We will answer all of your questions and are always available by phone Monday through Friday.

How do I obtain an Access Badge?

Access Badges, photo IDs, are issued to you at Orientation. Replacing a lost badge can be done at the Association Office for a fee of $5.00.

How do I get a new car tag/sticker?

Bring your insurance card, vehicle registration, driver's license and LeisureTowne Access ID and your old car tag to the Association Office. A new sticker, hang tags have been replaced, will be issued for your vehicle.

How much do I owe?

You may call the Association Office and ask for the finance department. You may also refer to Associa Online, Resident Login, to register for Homeowner Access to Account Information.

How do I set up a Direct Debit?

You may call, or visit, the Association Office to obtain the appropriate form. You may also refer to the Forms and Permits section of this website and download the form. You can return the completed form, along with a voided check, and mail  to the address listed on the application.

How can I cancel my Direct Debit?

You may call or visit the Association Office to obtain the appropriate form. You may also refer to the Forms and Permits section of this website and download the form. You can mail the completed form  to the listed address. 

How do I change my Direct Debit to a new bank account?

You may call, or visit, the Association Office to obtain the appropriate form. You may also refer to the Forms and Permits section of this website and download the form. The completed form should be returned to the address on the form.

How do I pay my account on-line?

Refer to Associa Online Payments, click on the Resident Login in the Navigation column to the left. A service charge will be added to your payment.

Can I pay the entire year of assessments in advance?

Yes, and you will receive a $12.00 discount.

How do I schedule an Special Event on the Calendar?

Complete an Event Form, we will coordinate the date for you at the Association Office.

May I have a copy of the governing documents?

Yes, they are on the website. Under the Governing Documents tab.

How do I start a new club or activity?

Complete a New Club/Activity Request Application at the Association Office, or download from this website. Your request will be submitted to the Board of Trustees. Upon approval, a staff member will call you and coordinate a meeting time, place and dates for your new group.

How do I rent Setters or Friendship Hall?

Complete the Rental Application, available on this website, for use of the hall, submit with your check to reserve the date.  A caterer or other vendors need to provide proof of insurance as well. Complete a diagram of your requirements for tables and chairs for the event. The Association Office will help guide you through this process. If you are serving alchohol, you must apply for Rental Host Liability Insurance, a link to this website is located under Forms and Permits, or this is avialable at the Association Office.

How do I rent one of the Parks?

Complete a Park Rental application, submit the application with $25.00 to confirm the date, to the Association Office.

How many guests my I have at the pool?

You may have up to four (4) guests from any one household. Each guest must have a guest pass (issued at orientation - replacement passes are $1.00 per pass) and be accompanied by the resident to use the facilities.

How do I apply for a Painting Permit?

The Painting Permit application can be downloaded from this website, or collected from the Association Office. Enter all of the appropriate information, including the colors from the LeisureTowne Paint Chart. The chart and paint samples are avialable at the Association Office. Submit the completed application to the Association Office for Architectural Control Committee approval. Paint colors submitted must have a sample attached.

How do I apply for a Building Permit for renovation to my home?

The Building Permit Application can be downloaded from this website, or secured from the Association Office. Enter all of the applicable information and include any colors, dimensions, drawings, photographs or surveys. Submit the application to the Association Office for Architectural Control Commitee approval.

What are the rules for trash and recycling collection? When do they collect my trash on holidays?

Trash collection (weekly) is provided by Southampton Township and recycling is a Burlington County (every other Monday) program.  You can refer to the Trash and Recycling page in the About US section of this web site or visit the Township site at www.southamptonnj.org/municipal-government/trash-recycling/.

May I use my home as a rental property?

You must request, in writing, permission to use your home as a rental property. Your name will be placed on a waiting list, if applicable, as there are a limited number of homes that can be rented. The Association will notify you when you will be able to rent your home. Lease documents are available on this website.

How do I apply to use my home as a rental property?

As stated above, you must complete the Lease Application, available on this website or from the Association Office.

What is the procedure for selling my home?

Have your realtor contact the Association Office in order to receive a Resale Packet, this can also be downloaded from this website. The resale packet contains all of the documents that are required to process the sale of your home. An exterior inspection will be performed to check for any violations that may need to be corrected.

Can I park my commercial/service vehicle in LeisureTowne?

Commercial or service vehicles, including cars that have been wrapped with advertising, are not permitted to be parked overnight in any driveway or street in LeisureTowne. The vehicle must be parked in the resident's garage or outside LeisureTowne.

How do I secure a parking spot in the Recreational Vehicle Lot?

Please complete the Application for Space - Recreation Vehicle Parking, available at the Association Office or on this website,  and return it to the Association Office. There is a waiting list for spaces. 

Can I place a "For Sale" sign on my property?

No sign of any kind may be displayed to the public view on any residential lot or from within a dwelling which is visible through any window.

How many people may live in a home?

Full-time occupancy is limited to not more than three (3) eligible permanent occupants in each dwelling.

Can my children live with me?

Your child, or children, may live with you if they are 19 years of age or older. Only three people are permitted to live in the home.

How many pets may I have?

You are permitted two (2) per per home in LeisureTowne. That means one (1) dog and one (1) cat, or two (2) dogs or two (2) cats, and other usual household pets may be kept, provided thay are not boarded, bred or maintained for any commercial purpose.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Leisuretowne


102 South Plymouth Court
Southampton NJ 08088


609-859-8001 - Phone
609-859-0195 - Fax

Email: caa@leisuretowne.org